Smotrich Says ICC Sought Secret Arrest Warrant Against Him, Calls Move Declaration of War

🔴 BREAKING: Published 16 minutes ago
⚡ UPDATED: 16 minutes ago
Israeli Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said the ICC sought a secret arrest warrant against him, calling it a "declaration of war" and announcing retaliation.

Jerusalem, 19 May, 2026 (TPS-IL) — Israeli Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said Tuesday he had been notified that the International Criminal Court had submitted a secret request for an international arrest warrant against him, describing the move as a “declaration of war” and announcing immediate retaliatory steps against the Palestinian Authority, including an order to evacuate a controversial unauthorized Bedouin outpost.

“Last night I was informed that a request for a secret international arrest warrant was filed against me by the criminal prosecutor of the antisemitic tribunal in The Hague,” Smotrich said. This would join arrest warrants issued against Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and former Defense Minister Yoav Gallant in 2024.

Smotrich’s comments followed reports in the Israeli media suggesting that the ICC had taken steps toward issuing additional warrants.

Israel’s Haaretz daily reported on Sunday that ICC Chief Prosecutor Karim Khan had requested sealed arrest warrants for Smotrich and for National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir. The paper added that additional warrants would target Minister for Settlement and National Missions, Orit Strook and two Israeli military officials.

An ICC spokesperson denied the report.

Israel is not a member of the ICC and does not recognize its jurisdiction. Netanyahu and Gallant risk being arrested if they visit countries that are party to the ICC.

The legal action was spearheaded by the Palestinian Authority, which in 2014 was recognized by the court as a “State,” leading Israeli officials to accuse the ICC of being politicized.

Among the steps announced in response, Smotrich also ordered action regarding Khan al-Ahmar, a Bedouin community east of Jerusalem that has been subject to long-standing demolition orders.

The first structures of Khan al-Ahmar were originally built without permits by Bedouins on state-owned land between Jerusalem and the Dead Sea in the 1970s. Its residents — around 200 adults and children — are not Israeli citizens.

Legal efforts to prevent the outpost’s razing came to an end in May 2018 when the High Court ruled that Khan al-Ahmar could be demolished and its residents relocated. However, the previous governments of Benjamin Netanyahu and Yair Lapid never followed through on the evacuation.