Tennis has been played in Israel since the early twentieth century. In 1939, the Maccabi Tel Aviv Tennis Club was formed by immigrants from Europe, mainly Austria and Germany. The Maccabi Tel Aviv Tennis Club just had two gravel courts and was used by tennis players in Israel and it was where most of Israel’s international championships and Davis Cup matches were held. Since the 1920s, approximately120 registered tennis associations have been formed under the Tennis Federation, the largest being the Israel Tennis Center, which has about 14 centers nationwide. In Israel there are tennis courts in most towns, villages and kibbutzim. The largest and most famous tennis courts in Israel are: the Maccabi North Tel Aviv on Rokach Blvd, and the Hadar Yosef tennis complex.